Sunday, March 13, 2011

Something About England: A California Girl in London... Part Two

    Material for this column is developing faster than I can write it! Every single day spent in this city brings new excitement and stories for the books. Still, I'm continuing to back track and get it all up to date, so off we go!


    Shooting for the current cover of Guitar World, I assisted Ross Halfin on a shoot with Jeff Beck. I am certainly a fan, and though I had seen him on my last jaunt in London, this was first time we were formally introduced. And I could not say lovelier things about the man... As he walked in, I was amazed by his understated presence. No air about him, no frills at all... As he posed with his newly repainted Strat, he fiddled with the strings. I grinned behind my hands and thought of how jealous my dad would be in that moment... Intimately jamming and "shooting the shit", as they say. He was noticeably uncomfortable at the beginning at the shoot, but he eventually grew relaxed.  It was incredible how once he got comfortable and hit the right poses, he just looked like such a star. All of a sudden, there was a presence about him - that certain quality just emanated from him. We posed for photos and he blew me a kiss on his way out the door, as I sipped my tea. Its wonderful when people are exactly how you'd like them to be. Though a bit shy, once comfortable and among friends, Jeff Beck is warm, gracious and funny. As lovely a man as he is a guitar player.


    The evening was topped off by more memorable viewing, which led Ross to tell me, "I think you need to go to bed, you're having too fun of a day." Indeed. I went to bed feeling utterly giddy.


























    Life in London continued on with Anita Pallenberg sightings in Mayfair when in a cab to YSL, getting ridiculously excited any moment the sun is out, watching unreleased footage of amazing bands and trying not to smile like an idiot, wandering around museums, when the sun streams into the kitchen and music is blasting, using the Small Faces as a marvelously effective "getting dressed up to go out" soundtrack, memorable nights out including visits to enchanting locations and conversation worth remembering. The gang temporarily debunked to America and I made a quick visit to my homeland, Los Angeles, but I must admit it only made me appreciate London more upon arriving...


    Just a few days after arriving back in London, a lovely collection of people gathered at the Charlotte Street Hotel to sign Sojourner: Ross Halfin Travels. Mister Halfin himself, the always dashing Mister Page, the endlessly charming Baron Wolman, Catherine and Nick Roylance of Genesis Publications, always witty Kaz, and the subtly hilarious Dave Brolan. Such extraordinary company! It was wonderful to be surrounded not only by people I've come to know well, but also by people who are so incredible at the jobs they do. I looked around and thought, "Every single one of these people are absolutely brilliant at what they do." Instead of feeling intimidated or insuperior, I felt so damn proud. I want to soak up every ounce of it and glean all that I can. After a remarkable dinner, shared apple strudel, and a bit of jasmine tea, we even spotted Martin Sheen, in town for one reason or another. Such a wondrous evening... Should be more like it.


    Until next time... With tales of interviewing Sir Cliff Richard, David Gest and Lamont Dozier to boot!Source URL: https://jimhensons.blogspot.com/2011/03/something-about-england-california-girl.html
    Visit Jim Henson for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

My Blog List

Blog Archive