Monday, June 20, 2011

Something About England: A California Girl in London... Part Six



    So, there's obviously a bit to say. It got to the point where I was overwhelmed by how much has gone on between my last post and this one. But as I'm departing for LA next week, I figured my perspective would change. So I'm making every effort to sum up my journey thus far. Its been a magnificent one. And judging by my current track record, each day is only going to grow more fruitful, more exciting, and further aspirations will unfold each day. Its all quite extraordinary, and seems to only be continuing down that path! I can't see my time in LA as anything but a good thing, for it will not only give me time to further appreciate the glorious adventure these last six months have been - but it also allows me the opportunity to plan for the future. I'm so thrilled to see my family, friends, and bask in the superlative Los Angeles sun. I genuinely feel like the luckiest lady on the planet, for I have such an sumptuous life on either side of the Atlantic. I get to temporarily step out of my life here, knowing that I've literally accomplished everything I was after and  I get to come back! I get to saunter back into my life in Los Angeles, experiencing only the very best assets of the city I share a love/hate relationship with. Friendships will resume as if no time has passed and family will be ever present. Life, I can truly say I adore you.


    But obviously much has ensued in the last month... I watched the incredible Blu-ray release of Rory Gallagher's Irish Tour '74 and fell a little bit in love with him, his music and his attitude toward it.
    Throughout the footage, he just exudes an innate sweetness. I find his devoted workman ethic toward his craft and the fact that he never seemed to be desperately chasing success to be standout feats. He did what he did, he did it well and he was content with that. Still, he never had a wife, long time girlfriend or any children. His devotion led to what one can only perceive as a sadness and loneliness, as he drank himself to oblivion, leading to his untimely death at forty seven.


    I also saw Queens of the Stone Age at the Roundhouse, on Josh Homme's birthday. (See next issue of Mojo for my summation of the evening!) Though I can't boast immense knowledge about the Queens, I enjoyed myself immensely. They have a great vibe about them, with Homme successfully riling up the entire audience. The crowd was engaged and having a grand time (some quite actively expressing as much). The band played the entirety of their scorching debut, followed by requests from the audience. Afterward, we debunked to the bar above the Roundhouse. Josh Homme, despite the fact that it was his birthday, was endlessly attentive and, dare I say, tender with every fan that approached him. Finally he whispered "I have to get out of here!" and escaped.


    For Mojo, I interviewed the chatty and attentive Jack Steadman of Bombay Bicycle Club, the truly fabulous Nona Hendryx of Labelle (who went above and beyond), and Ben Ottewell of Gomez. Ben and I bantered back and forth about the glory of Led Zeppelin II and his immense praise for Mr. Page. Nona's interview is in the next issue of Mojo, and the others will follow, I imagine.


    Also for Mojo, I ventured on a coach through the depths of Surrey for a Ringo event. Mild controversy surrounded the piece I penned for the Mojo website, which I will allow you to judge for yourself. The Mojo staff was fully encouraging, but acted accordingly under the powers that be. Read it here.


    You can also read a piece I penned for the Mojo website, on my immense love of Joni Mitchell's Blue. More of the sort will follow. I also got my first contributor credit in this month's issue with Bob Marley on the cover.



    Finally, Mojo did a special edition titled Mojo 60's, which I had an active hand in. Its now on sale and you can get it here!

    Source URL: https://jimhensons.blogspot.com/2011/06/something-about-england-california-girl.html
    Visit Jim Henson for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

My Blog List

Blog Archive