Saturday, October 3, 2009

"The best thing I can wish you, my child, is a little misfortune."


    We learn from the worst incidents. A serene, joyous life with not a care, would mean a life without much growth. When put in compromising situations, we're put the test to grow and become better people. A life plagued with tragedy has the potential to be a life full of lessons learned, and endless wisdom. But it's not that simple. Nothing is that simple. The hurdle is take hold of the conflict, and say, "Okay. I'm going to handle this the right way." The worst things that have ever happened to me, were also the ones that made me the best person. So, in a weird twisted way, they were the best things that happened. If you begin to look at life through these terms, you'll find there is no bad. That's my absurd optimism, and my ability (scratch that -- my need) to find the positive in absolutely everything. It's there, you just have to look for it and believe in it. Everything needs a little positive reassurance. You can grow from anything and everything, if you allow yourself to. I'm sure it can be done in a variety of weird, unconventional ways. My weird, unconventional way? When I cry, I lock myself in the bathroom, and most of the time, I sit and watch myself cry. I think and talk to myself, and make all sorts of promises. "Don't ever to THIS." "Avoid THAT." "I have to make something of myself, if only to avoid THAT." Et cetera. I've probably made a thousand promises over the years, and each I intend to keep. But, when I'm terribly upset like that, I don't sit and go "Fuck this! Fuck that! Everything sucks!" That's not my style. I say, "Yeah. This might suck right now, but here's what I can do to improve it." It keeps me going. Even when I feel there's nothing good going on at that particular moment, I always have the future. The future is limitless, and holds all sorts of splendor. I'm a dreamer, but I'm also a believer. But basically, when I see someone in a terrible slump, it's become difficult for me to relate. I've been there, trust me, but I've given up that habit. The habit of self-misery, and that strange sensation -- where you obviously would rather be happy, but you're absolutely wallowing in your misery. You bitch, you mope, and you do nothing to change it. You wait for everything to just happen, and it never does. I give that sort of thing one night, but again, during that night, I find solutions. I guess I'm a go-getter. I chase things and make them happen. I get intense thrill out of working out problems. Sometimes I make mental (or physical) lists of problems, JUST to find their solutions and work it all out. I've since realized this is sort of unhealthy, and that looking for problems is an issue in it's own right. But all in all, I wrangle those problems. I don't always do it the right way, but I'm just not the type to let them slip through the cracks, or get brushed under the rug. So don't ignore things! Even if they make you wince. But instead of facing them, before prompting cowardly turning away... Face them, and defeat them. Your positivity will radiate all over that bitch, and like a cartoon, the bad will melt away. Just know that there's always a lesson hidden in there, and going the lengths to find it, no matter how painful, is ALWAYS worth it.



    Post-script; I just realized there's not a single cultural reference in this post! How unlike me! (Which leaves me with no photo theme, so I opted for 'whatever I want'!)



    (More on music is coming soon, so don't worry, I'll only attempt to shove my dime store philosophy down your throat every now and again.)



    Bob for Bumby. I misssss.



    And guys, I think it would be in your best interest to emulate Paul Simonon in this photo as much as possible. In addition to being the classiest thing this side of Humphrey Bogart (post- 1941, of course), it's his allure. You can bet even if Pete Townshend donned such a get-up, his late Seventies bitterness would shine through. I love Pete obviously (and the Who WAY more than the Clash), but the Clash were fucking sharp, xo.
    Source URL: https://jimhensons.blogspot.com/2009/10/best-thing-i-can-wish-you-my-child-is.html
    Visit Jim Henson for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

My Blog List

Blog Archive