Monday, March 1, 2010

This week:



    Listening: "Wasn't Born to Follow", the Byrds, after watching Easy Rider. Lola versus Powerman and the Moneygoround, Part One, by the Kinks. As I've mentioned before, its my favorite Kinks album. Still lots of Little Feat. Still lots of Sly and the Family Stone. (Two semi-obsessions, but not quite.) Tennessee Ernie Ford. Toots and the Maytals.

    Reading: I FINISHED LOLITA! It isn't that long, but I feel accomplished. Once I sat down and said, "I'm gonna finish this", the task was very easy. And sorry to say, it became no more engrossing. I wasn't aggressively turning every page awaiting Quilty's death. I wasn't sympathizing with Humbert Humbert. I didn't feel connected to any damn character in the whole book, which is very important to me when reading. Lolita, officially not a favorite. But now I'm free to dive into the stack of books beside my bed. Time to learn even more about Joni Mitchell and Joe Strummer, along with Germaine Greer's The Female Eunuch. An adventure, I'm sure...




    Watching: One of my favorite Katharine Hepburn films, Bringing Up Baby. Anyone other than her, and that role would be disastrous;


    The striking, flawless From Here to Eternity. Montgomery Clift, a handsome devil. (And Donna Reed is totally stunning also!);

    Monsters Inc! So exciting! One of my favorite latter-day Disney films. I curled up on my couch with a cup of tea at 2AM, and quietly fawned over the allure of "Boo";


    As mentioned, I watched The Dick Cavett Show: Rock Icons, disc one. The line-up boasts "The Woodstock Show", with the illuminating Joni Mitchell and the boring Jefferson Airplane. As well as David Bowie, right after Diamond Dogs, and fidgeting with nerves. As well as the awkward genius of Sly Stone;  


    Easy Rider, I love Easy Rider. Such a wonderfully horrendous ending. So exquisitely shot. Laszlo Kovacs, a genius! And I just realized that the prettiest dame in the whole movie, Mary, whom receives adorable kisses from Peter Fonda -- IS TONI BASIL! She sang "Mickey" and choreographed David Bowie, among many others. And dude, Jack Nicholson;


    More Katharine Hepburn, this time Woman of the Year with Spencer Tracy. Their chemistry is amaaaazing, but the movie wasn't one of her best;


    lastly The Band Wagon. Fucking Cyd Charisse, such an incredible dancer! Ballet is truly a gorgeous and remarkable art form. I'd love to see a live classical ballet performance. And Fred Astaire, so endearing. I got really happy watching it, because I think its so wonderful that there are so many varied pleasures in life. Rambunctious rock and roll and classical ballet are entirely opposite, but each is capable of being copious joy. Life! Oh and, I swear I don't just sit around and watch movies all day, but I certainly make a mission of watching one a day!Source URL: https://jimhensons.blogspot.com/2010/03/this-week_01.html
    Visit Jim Henson for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

My Blog List

Blog Archive