Monday, March 8, 2010

Led Zeppelin-a-Day: "Heartbreaker"

    Jimmy Page also used to incorporate Simon and Garfunkel's "The 59th Street Bridge Song (Feelin' Groovy)" into the solo.

    "Heartbreaker", Led Zeppelin II
    Oh, "Heartbreaker". That riff... A goddamn monument. I don't listen to this song too often, because its one of those obvious numbers. Can't take too much of it, but its sort of a joy too, in that way. The fact that Led Zeppelin have so many songs that are just so iconic, is rather thrilling. Even though the riff is a mild stroke of genius, I really enjoy the hearty bass rotating through a Leslie throughout the verses. The entire song is yet another that further proclaims Led Zeppelin II as one of the sexiest albums of all time. And it is! No contest! And then, that a cappella solo... Let's see, its very Jimmy Page circa 1969. And it sounds luscious, absolutely no doubt about that. Magnificent, jarring, and characteristically insane. But I also must admit that it isn't my favorite kind of Jimmy Page solo. Less emotional, more overtly showy -- not my favorite style. But then, bam! Right back into the leading momentum. That solo was adding after the rest of the song had been recorded, which is admirably unusual. Ah, and history also shows its the first recorded use of the Les Paul/Marshall stack combo. "Heartbreaker" just isn't one of my favorites, though sometimes it can certainly rev me up. But usually, not. So my enthusiasm is less than contagious...Source URL: https://jimhensons.blogspot.com/2010/03/led-zeppelin-day_08.html
    Visit Jim Henson for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

My Blog List

Blog Archive