Sunday, March 14, 2010

This week:


    Listening: More than anything else, this playlist made up of 100+ songs I listen to most, according to iTunes. Its pretty amazing -- lots of the Clash, Led Zeppelin, Jeff Beck, the Kinks. Along with a grip of great and random tracks by Toots and the Maytals, Ray Charles, the Faces, the Who, Otis Rush, Everly Brothers, Leonard Cohen, Joni Mitchell, Gene Vincent, Mott the Hoople, Miles Davis, Aerosmith, Sam Cooke, Rod Stewart, Buffalo Springfield, et cetera! In short, a party follows me wherever I go. Also, Buddy Holly's "Words of Love", because the original is always vital. "Car Jamming" by the Clash. Its Combat Rock, so I just take a little. But I love the pumping beat and BEST OF ALL, the Lauren Bacall reference!


    Reading: Finished Redemption Song, which I loved. Even at 600 pages, it was a breeze. As I said before, it truly made the effort to paint Joe Strummer as he was. Part John Mellor, son of a diplomat and a boarding school prankster. Art college dropout, for lack of a better word, a deadbeat. A squatter, who almost out of nowhere, decided he wanted to be a rock star. And within a few years, fucking did it -- birthing Joe Strummer. Rambunctious and outspoken frontman of the Clash. Seething with energy, employing tough love to drive the point home -- do what you WANT TO DO. And just get up and do it! An everyman, speaking to every fan, and signing every autograph. A difficult partner, easily influenced, sometimes dangerously implusive. Plagued by tragedy, yet full of life and wisdom. An interesting character, not without flaws -- which marries well with his persona of being no bigger or better than any fan, or anyone. Chris Salewicz did the man good. The lack of rose tinted glasses just makes you love JS more. Now I'm onto Michelle Mercer's Will You Take Me As I Am: Joni Mitchell's Blue Period, which I'm already loving. "The people who get the most out of my music see themselves in it." Absolutely true.


    Watching: Magical Mystery Tour! I had been craving it for so long. Its so short, and odd, but what a great period for the Beatles. The best parts are the already well known clips of them miming the songs, and there isn't nearly enough George otherwise. "The Beatles' only flop", I love it. Don't expect too much, just enjoy the strange visuals of this rather reclusive phase for the Beatles.

    Stagecoach, which made my heavy lids perk right up. I found John Wayne a little dreamy (though I will say he seemed kind of... dumb), and was mesmerized by the shootout. Lively and interesting, it brings out my love of westerns. And more of The Dick Cavett Show! I'm obsessed. I watched the George Harrison/Ravi Shankar episode, and the Paul Simon episode. George Harrison possessed a great sense of humor, and was rather amusing. When he wasn't amusing, he was getting a little too deep and dark -- making me sink deep into my sofa and wonder when Dick would perk things up. Interesting, bearded, denim-on-denim, with a blazer on top. CLASS. Ravi Shankar also mesmerized me with his sitar madness. Mildly mind blowing. I'd love to see sitar live and up close. The Paul Simon episode left me feeling really jazzed about the process of interviewing musicians. Paul Simon declared that there are no geniuses in rock and roll, and I may just agree with him. I thought, geniuses -- in the true, classic sense of the word, no. But who is a true genius? I don't know if I can say that I'm willing to bestow that title upon anyone. But I would say yes, there are geniuses OF rock and roll. People who are genuinely fucking brilliant at composing the music that they do, but again, a true universal genius? I don't know of any.


    I also watched the 1946 adaption of Hemingway's short story The Killers. Ava Gardner in her first major role, Burt Lancaster's film debut. SO AMATEURISH. The entire film! Its supposed to be a film noir classic, and it was so lame. Ava Gardner, while later blossomed into an amusing, charming, and witty lady, was such a terrible actress in this. The story, while winding and intriguing, was ill-played. I didn't like the film at all, despite Ava's glowing seductress image.


    I only watched four movies this week. A bust! But it was a dizzying week. I love spontaneous camping trips with people you love. Two in a week! Ridiculously singing along to "Bohemian Rhapsody" by campfire, cutting up glow sticks and spraying them along the masses, staying up 'til dawn and traipsing among the mountains and waterfalls, while the sun delicately creeps up, peaking behind the hills, illuminating everything in a hazy blue. I also enjoy rooftop picnics with a gaggle of friends, while wearing a mini dress and cowboy boots. The weather is perking up, and its reflecting on my daily activities! Not yet spring, but I await you.Source URL: https://jimhensons.blogspot.com/2010/03/this-week.html
    Visit Jim Henson for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

My Blog List

Blog Archive