Sunday, June 6, 2010

This week:

    You could maybe say some of these photos are irrelevant, but a) Sometimes youth just wins. b) The ELO/Avedon belly button portraits is one of my favorites! c) Faces are on Every Picture Tells a Story. I digress!  


    Listening: I've been listening to lots of full albums, which makes me happy. Sometimes you don't crave a whole album, but its such a treat when an entire album makes it for you.

    - Exile on Main St, the Rolling Stones; I can only listen to this album during the day. It reaps the full effect.
    - Cut, the Slits; Similarly, I can only listen to Cut when its dark. Its really jovial and fun, so perhaps it would make an awesome daytime album, but its equally quick and sleek vibes make it an ideal nighttime record.
    - All Things Must Pass, George Harrison; First, who else is beyond excited for the Martin Scorsese-helmed doc on this wizard? I'm so ready! All Things Must Pass is, alas, another album I associate with hot fun in the summertime. I open my windows and play the whole damn thing. This is not something I do often, as its such a hefty album, but in the summer, I crave it. The first disc remains my favorite, but you've got to go for the goal! Play the whole damn thing! Open your windows, and mmm, lap up this scrumptious weather. (Unless, of course, you leave in a location not quite as illustrious as southern California. In that case, come visit!)
    - Blood on the Tracks, Bob Dylan; So in my mystical near-slumber daze, when I think of the most illustrious ideas and have the best thoughts, I started thinking about the way Bob Dylan says "honey baby" in "Buckets of Rain". The next morning, I woke up, rolled over, queued up Blood on the Tracks, and of course, opened the windows! A most desirable morning, I promise you. His well-versed emotions, ranging from those delicate coos matched with his scathing fury on songs like "Idiot Wind", make this album so wondrous and captivating. Honesty, its so refreshing. I don't think I'll ever tire of his stark and defenseless tone on this album.
    - A New World Record, Electric Light Orchestra; Okay! I will never deny my passion for ELO. In fact, I will go so far to say that this album is one of my favorites! "Tightrope" is so exciting, followed by the brilliant "Telephone Line"... You've got "Livin' Thing", "Do Ya", my favorites (after "Tightrope", "Telephone Line", and "Livin' Thing") "Mission (A World Record)" and "Above the Clouds". Pure ELO-embroidered perfection. Its whimsical and fun!
    - Every Picture Tells a Story, Rod Stewart; This is essentially a "stray cat blues. Guide to Summer Listening"! More will perhaps unfold as the summer progresses. Goodness, I love this weather! Its not yet blisteringly hot, and its just perfect. I sat outside without a sweater this evening, and it makes me so joyous! Anyway, this record is made for summer. The mood, rollicking and serene, mmm. I read an interview where Izzy Stradlin described it as "that Maggie May feel", and I know just what he means! The title track, "Tomorrow is a Long Time", and "Mandolin Wind" really capture that mood for me. Its irresistible; how can anyone be unhappy to this record?
    - My obsession with How the West Was Won continues. This week I'm really into the magical, lilting take on "That's the Way". Its something about the live acoustics, leaving the song so wonderfully spacious and atmospheric. Its so expansive, and just open, welcoming. I've worn the studio version to bits, and this allows a reawakening of sorts with one of my all time Led Zeppelin favorites.
    - So uh, you know how I said I wasn't gonna listen to The Joshua Tree again? I lied. I've grown to really like this record. Granted, I skip the first three tracks (FM radio plays them enough), but the rest has become an outstanding work to me. Instead of feeling lame because U2 is such a fun band to dislike, I'm glad I broke that barrier for myself. Lesson: don't judge! Listen! Oh and, its a GREAT record to clean to. I slaved over my entire space this weekend and The Joshua Tree kept me going.
    - I also said I didn't like Ogdens' Nut Gone Flake too much, another lie! I've grown to like this one a lot too. "Afterglow" is my very favorite, and I've been playing it heavily. Listen and enjoy. Its magnificent. I'm certainly hopping on the "Small Faces don't get nearly enough credit" train.

    As for singular tracks...

    - "Straight to Hell", the Clash; Its lauded as one of their best, and while I don't really agree, I think its an interesting tune. Its the Clash doing something they've never done before, and I always respect that.
    - "I'm Not Down", the Clash; A true anthem of perseverance. Mick's vocal performance is utterly convincing, with the Strummer-penned lyrics proving to be limitlessly inspiring. I was in a nasty mood the other day, this came on, and I decided, "Fuck that! I'm not down!" Alas, these are the types of things that motivate me.
    - "Charlie Don't Surf", the Clash; One of my all time Clash favorites. Its just mesmerizing. Heavy rotation, once more. I love.
    - "Try a Little Tenderness", Otis Redding; One of my favorite songs ever. Difficult but true, the words that Otis rhapsodizes remain the truth. Just think about it, you're much more likely to get your way if you come at it gently and kindly. But isn't this often the biggest challenge?! Sometimes I just want to yell, and demand, because I feel like I'm obligated to get some things. But alas, we find no one truly owes us a damn thing. Try a little tenderness.... His fiery performance makes me think I can.
    - "Johnny the Fox Meets Jimmy the Weed", Thin Lizzy; I really don't think I need to say much more. I've been listening to the Live and Dangerous version, mostly - even though it is in fact dangerous, its only partially live. Still love it, and particularly Phil Lynott. An icon.

    Reading and watching STILL don't apply - but I've got a hefty summer reading/watching list. Oh, June 17th, you can't come soon enough! (But, actually, stay away for now. I've got waaaay too much to do.)Source URL: https://jimhensons.blogspot.com/2010/06/this-week.html
    Visit Jim Henson for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

My Blog List

Blog Archive