Saturday, January 16, 2010

As the smoke of our hopes rose high from the field, my eyes played tricks through the moon and the trees.

    I feel as though I've been an absent blogger. This will possibly continue until the semester is up in two weeks. I can't wait to win back my sanity. Until then... Here's what is currently spinning in my world:

    I made a playlist on the eve of my birthday. It was compiled of 200+ songs that were the kind that you MUST be cheerful to. It was rather spectacular. Since then, I've been cutting down the playlist little by little, leaving only the very best songs. Its now at roughly seventy songs. Here's that and a little more...



    B.B. King
    My little brother, of eleven years old, did not know of B.B. King. I guess it was rather unfathomable to me that the name didn't even ring a bell. After all, this is the same boy who stole my copy of The Catcher in the Rye, whose favorite Beatles song is "Glass Onion", knows his Humphrey Bogart from his Jimmy Stewart, counts Audrey Hepburn as the sexiest lady of all time, bonds with his school teachers over his expansive knowledge of Led Zeppelin's catalog, and can even spot a Joni Mitchell tune. As I'm sure that last sentence entails, we're very close, and my cultural junkie-ism has certainly rubbed off. I like to quiz him on whatever I'm listening to, making sure he can identify artist and perhaps song title. As I played Who's Next this afternoon, he seemed genuinely displeased at my asking. He couldn't believe I would doubt his Who knowledge. He replied, "WHO DO YOU THINK? The Who!" Proud as a peacock. Anyway, B.B. King. I gave him a quick run-down of B.B.'s rich history, and played him my very favorite: "How Blue Can You Get?" A thunderous live rendition, dating from who-knows-when, B.B. belts and wails with admirable intensity. "I gave you seven children and now you wanna to give 'em back!" A classic.

    A handful of random Band tunes helped make up the playlist, and the two that remain are "King Harvest (Has Surely Come)" and "When I Paint My Masterpiece". As always, faultless vocal performances, along with the gritty flair of "King Harvest" and the wondrous, majestic air of "When I Paint My Masterpiece".



    I've also been jamming on choice happy Beach Boys songs. SO obvious, yet so perfect: "God Only Knows" and "Good Vibrations" Usually, I would skip such staple numbers, but NO SHAME. Perfect pop songs. Unfortunately, that isn't actually a theremin on "Good Vibrations" but I forgive.



    Beatles for Sale, the Beatles
    Incredible and underrated! This album was released in '64, REALLY? So brilliant, so early... It's vibrant and youthful, and effortlessly spreads a smile across my face. In particular I'm listening to "No Reply", "I'll Follow the Sun", "Mr. Moonlight", "Eight Days a Week", "Words of Love", "Every Little Thing", "I Don't Want to Spoil the Party", and "What You're Doing". Love love love.

    Also, "Free as a Bird" and "Real Love" because I don't mind posthumous mash-ups at all. And "Within You Without You", which I can only do occasionally, because I was SO obsessed with this song long ago. As well as "I Feel Fine" for that happy factor.



    Bo Diddley, Bo Diddley
    Do I even need to explain? Bo Diddley brings me SUCH joy. When Bo Diddley comes on, I usually have to stop doing whatever I'm doing. I listen to Bo Diddley a lot when I'm traveling, curiously. From Buenos Aires to London, Bo and I are companions. He toured with the Clash, what brilliant festivities...

    "Tomorrow Is a Long Time", Bob Dylan
    I'm very insistent in being familiar with original versions of glorious covers. Said glorious cover: "Tomorrow Is a Long Time" by Rod Stewart, off the sun-coming-up-perfect Every Picture Tells a Story. I listened to Every Picture Tells a Story as I took a bath and sipped tea at 2AM last night. Its an album that I always must play twice. But... Bob Dylan! He penned the stunning "Tomorrow Is a Long Time" so as I said, I must become familiar. Still, when it comes to performance and delivery, Rod so obviously defeats Bob.



    Hip Hug-Her, Booker T and the MGs
    First, just scope the cover. I'm a little obsessed with it. But obviously, the music is also quite thrilling. Booker T and the MGs make me feel like I'm in some sort of movie, and I just want to act like a spy, with perfectly choreographed steps.



    The Cars, The Cars
    Yeeeesssss! I don't think I've ever met a person who doesn't like this album. Because its phenomenal! So catchy and fun -- a good time record if there ever was one. As "My Best Friend's Girl" comes on. Because you're urged to feel utterly silly and careless as you clap along, and zip about to the weird noises they conjure up. Happiness!



    The Clash, obviously!
    I've officially stopped listening to London Calling multiple times, every single day -- which suits me just fine. Now I'm weaning into more obscure Clash songs, and the obsession isn't so intense. Its nice, because it allows me to still enjoy them immensely, without getting burnt out. I've really been grooving to "Armagideon Time" and, to gel with the Booker T madness, their take on "Time is Tight". So I bought Black Market Clash on vinyl on my birthday, and we're quite happy. I'm also slowly continuing on my Sandinista! journey. I'm slowly acknowledging each track, as to fully devour the album. "The Magnificent Seven", "Somebody Got Murdered", "Charlie Don't Surf", and "One More Time" have stuck around, and I'm becoming familiar with "The Street Parade". But eeeeeeeee... I'm deeply and utterly obsessed with "Rebel Waltz". After the aforementioned 2AM bath, I sprawled across my bed and applied lotion in the dark, no light but the moonlight shining through my massive windows and lace curtains. "Rebel Waltz" played on repeat over and over, as the imagery came through boldly and I collapsed onto my pillow in a heap of immense affection for the music.

    A bit o' Derek and the Dominos ("Anyday", "Tell the Truth", and the best of them all "Keep On Growing"), Dick Dale, Edith Piaf... And I'm still reeling with The Sun Sessions. And oh, the Everly Brothers! Faces, Fleetwood Mac ("Second Hand News", "Albatross"), a few favorites from George Harrison ("Wah-Wah", "What Is Life", "Awaiting on You All")...



    Hoagy Carmichael!
    I don't think I've ever touched on my serious obsession with Hoagy Carmichael. I've briefly mentioned my total affection for Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall. One cannot understand my serious love for that dynamic couple. Their films (separate, but especially together) are my go-to comfort tool. And its through them that I became familiar with Mr. Carmichael. After viewing the luminous To Have and Have Not, my world opened up! I was in love with Humphrey Bogart, wanted to steal Lauren Bacall's wardrobe and husky voice, and was totally smitten with Hoagy Carmichael and his piaaaano. Ever since then, I've been sifting my way through Hoagy's massive songbook. An exciting adventure.





    Jeff Beck... The deliciousness that is Blow by Blow (which I SWEAR I will write about one day...) and the magnificent cheesiness that is "Hi-Ho Silver Lining", the illuminating Joni Mitchell (Blue, Court and Spark, Ladies of the Canyon), Lola versus Powerman and the Moneygoround, Part One by the Kinks, Led Zeppelin... A beautiful selection made up of: "Travelling Riverside Blues", "The Rain Song", "Over the Hills and Far Away", "Black Mountain Side", "What Is and What Should Never Be", "Bron-Y-Aur Stomp", "In the Light", "Bron-Yr-Aur", and "Down by the Seaside". Its also worth mentioning that I also acquired the Led Zeppelin DVD on my birthday... FINALLY! Boners and glorious music spanning nearly their entire career. I will certainly get around to writing about this too...



    "Tiger Rag", Les Paul and Mary Ford
    !!! Have you HEARD this? A jazz standard that Les Paul and Mary Ford take to new realms. Ugggh, its WONDERFUL. At first I was a bit taken back by the circusesque element, but I've graduated to being totally enthralled. Because its still unmistakeably Les Paul, and ohhh, Mary Ford. Her vocals are nothing less than radiant. Such fun! "Here kitty kitty kitty, here pus pus pus! Kitty kitty kitty, kittY!" Then she proceeds to meow, all the while, the vocals are double-tracked. Pioneers, who always managed to keep it fun and lively.

    Continuing with Little Feat, Lonnie Donegan, Louis Armstrong ("High Society Calypso" definitely keeps me happy), "Monday, Monday" by the Mamas and the Papas, Mott the Hoople...



    Speakerboxxx/The Love Below, Outkast
    Unexpected, right? But I would never absentmindedly exclude this record. Plus, its a CD collection staple. Its always a pleasure rummaging through someone's CD collection (because being a blatant music aficionado, I'm always in charge of selecting music), and being able to surprise people by saying, "Um, THIS." I must admit I'm way more into The Love Below, because I think Andre 3000 is a terrific song man. I got into an argument the day of my birthday, and was riddled with a bad mood. But as I drove to my birthday shindig, "Hey Ya" came on random and my bad mood was no more!

    The Ramones, The Rolling Stones (Totally random selection of songs: "Factory Girl", "Sweet Black Angel", "2000 Man"), Slim Harpo, Smokey Robinson and the Miracles, "Gimme Some Lovin'" by the Spencer Davis Group, of course! Its guaranteed happiness. The Temptations...



    Toots and the Maytals
    A wonderfully random but absolutely embraced obsession. Reggae makes me really happy, and Toots and the Maytals are my absolute favorite by way of reggae. (Though, my knowledge is just slowly expanding!) Reggae makes for a good time. 'Tis exactly why I skipped along London streets blasting The Harder They Come soundtrack. The opening sounds of "Sweet and Dandy" are perfection.

    And finally, the Traveling Wilburys... No shame! And as mentioned, Who's Next.


    I'm also savagely obsessed with banana milk, and salmon cream cheese. Though not together...



    Lastly, thank you for the birthday emails! It was a strange day, indeed. But I got to eat thai food at my favorite little rock and roll-themed hole in the wall. (Where I gazed up at the Stones, the Clash, the Beatles, Led Zeppelin, et cetera, between bites of shrimp pad thai and sips of thai iced tea.) Tom Green AKA "What the fuck have you been doing lately?" was also dining there that evening. And the night concluded with a late night record store rendezvous, where I got the aforementioned Clash EP and Led Zeppelin DVD, as well as a funky poster for the UFO Club advertising the early days of Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin - Presence on vinyl, and the strange Stones rarity Jamming with Edward! K. Richards was MIA, so you get Bill Wyman, Charlie Watts, Mick Jagger, Nicky Hopkins, and Ry Cooder. I haven't gotten around to listening to it yet, but until then, I'm vaguely amused by the artwork.

    Concrete writing coming soon, I swear! xo.Source URL: https://jimhensons.blogspot.com/2010/01/as-smoke-of-our-hopes-rose-high-from.html
    Visit Jim Henson for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

My Blog List

Blog Archive