Monday, April 26, 2010

a thirteen year old's take on rock history.

    "this was so damn interesting!

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_music

    look at the bands they list through all the little fazes and subgenres.
    pay attention to how they just, for the most part, increasingly get worse. its absolutely fucking terrible.

    when people tell me the music I listen to is bad, and I tell them the music I listen to created the (terrible) music they listen to.. they don't believe me. is this not proof?

    it is pretty bad when people believe rock music has gotten better, but its even worse when they actually think rap is better.
    to quote wikipedia- "Nearly all of the best selling albums of all time are still rock." need i say more?

    I'm going to anyway, on the Billboard 200..
    Elvis Presley has the most charted albums with 114 albums that made the charts.
    the Rolling Stones have the most top ten albums with 36 albums making the top ten.
    the Beatles have the most number one albums with 20 number one albums. Elvis Presley only had half that. the Beatles have the most cumulative weeks at number one with 132 weeks. is that not beyond fucking amazing? 132 weeks. that truly blows my mind.
    the next up is Elvis with 67. that seems like nothing (but don't get me wrong it is) next to that 132.
    what really amazes me though, is that the album that was number one the longest was the West Side Story soundtrack. it was number one for 54 weeks.
    the album that has spent the most time on the charts was Pink Floyd- Dark Side of the Moon. it has spent 741 weeks on the Billboard 200 charts. 1500 if you count the time it has spent on the Top Pop Album Catalog charts. my jaw dropppped. that is incredible!

    (note that totals are for the main albums chart only, catalog chart totals are not factored in)

    the album with the highest RIAA (Recording Industry Association of America) certification is the Eagles- Their Greatest Hits (1971-1975). it has gone 29 times platinum. Thriller is behind that having gone 27 times platinum, and third being Led Zeppelin IV going 23 times platinum. Pink Floyd- the Wall also went 23 times platinum, but it looks to me like Led Zeppelin IV sold more.

    the Beatles album with the highest RIAA certification is the White Album, having gone 19 times platinum.

    the first album to debut at number one was Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy by Elton John. he repeated this again with the album Rock of the Westies, the second album to debut at number one.. making him the first person to have two consecutive studio albums debut at number one.

    Bob Newhart was the first to have the number one album and number two album at the same time, with The Button-Down Mind and The Button-Down Mind Strikes Back! this was equaled in 1991, with Guns N' Roses- Use Your Illusion I and Use Your Illusion II.

    at one point in 1980, all nine albums released to that date by Led Zeppelin were on the charts. that is the most albums by a single artist to chart at the same time. that is fucking amazing.

    the Beatles are one of the the three only people to have two different albums hit number one in one year. out of curiousity I wanted to see what albums were number one in 1964 and Meet the Beatles, the Beatles' Second Album, and A Hard Day's Night all went number one that year. I'm sure that applies to other years, but I just want to show that they have gone beyond two, to at least three.

    the US sucks. we are a dumb, hip hop oriented, ignorant country. most good music comes from the UK anyways. so whats the ego for, US?

    not only does the US suck, this generation sucks.

    I'm pretty sure I've made a point. if you are still dumb and ignorant, then well. you are just that and I clearly can't change that. this went from being pro- rock n' roll to an overall lesson in musical history :)

    I believe I have rambled enough, but it was all completely true.
    to quote the Rolling Stones- "its only rock n roll, but I like it"
    and to quote Chuck Berry- "its gotta be rock roll music, if you wanna dance with me""


    That thirteen year old was me. I think I cursed then more than now!Source URL: https://jimhensons.blogspot.com/2010/04/thirteen-year-old-take-on-rock-history.html
    Visit Jim Henson for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

My Blog List

Blog Archive