Sunday, April 25, 2010

Review: Jeff Beck at the Nokia Theatre, 4/17


    Ah, Jeff Beck. To begin with, I adore you. In an era where nostalgia runs wild, most acts deliver lacklustre performances of their greatest hits. But not Jeff Beck. Beck has always been a musician who seems to be doing all that he can to avoid being pigeonholed into any genre, and in truth, I feel few have succeeded as he has. Random street walkers wouldn't know his name if you asked, but I genuinely don't believe I've ever heard or read a single negative thing about him, particularly from music lovers. While the way he approaches his career may seem haphazard to some, it seems he has managed to do whatever the fuck he wants - without worrying about selling records, or keeping in the same vein as his previous recordings. In fact, you can nearly count on Beck to bring some new to the table every single time.

    Watching Jeff Beck at the Nokia Theatre, I felt that illustrious feeling, that concert feeling. An intense wave of emotions washed over me, and I felt utterly sublime and overwhelmed. Watching Jeff Beck is one of those moments where things are so brilliantly emotional that you're overwhelmed to the point of near fatigue. Following the great momentum of dimming lights and excitable gasps (as well as a few men shouting "Beck-Ola!" and "FREEWAY JAM!"), Beck emerged looking like an absolute star. At sixty-five, not an inch of flash has left him, musically or aesthetically. Granted, it seems his style is a bit more erratic than it was, say six months ago, and it seems he takes his stage clothes a step further with every tour. So hey, Beck! Quit while you're ahead. What also differs from Beck's last jaunt around the States is his band. Twenty-odd year old Tal Wilkenfeld, a jarring talent, has been replaced by Rhonda Smith on bass. Vinnie Colaiuta has been replaced by Michael Narada Walden (who appeared on Beck's Wired), while keyboardist Jason Rebello acts as a mainstay. Though both Smith and Walden are highly acclaimed musicians, I certainly found myself wishing I had seen the previous incarnation of Beck's band. Beck's Platinum-selling DVD Performing This Week...Live At Ronnie Scott's provided a fleeting showcase of the band, and they blow his current cast straight out of the water. No contest.

    Through the first few numbers, I thought, "Brilliant. A great mix of slow and moving numbers with raucous scorchers." But as it wore on, I thought, "Wait... Its getting a bit repetitive." He simply hopped back and forth, with numbers that nearly sounded alike. With such a deliciously expansive catalog to chose from, I felt Beck didn't provide as much diversity as he could have. Though the oldies cheering for his seventies classics were appeased by a steaming performance of "Led Boots". Beck was also occasionally backed by an orchestra. Let me say that I found this absolutely haunting and enchanting, but I also felt the orchestra wasn't quite necessary. Few guitarists are so skilled at conveying emotion and provoking them so thoroughly within the listener, while Beck excels at this. I felt the orchestra, more than enhancing the experience, diluted it. With that said, I do feel Beck's new material is absolutely shattering, and stands up well when tossed together with his untouchable classics.


    Returning to the topic of his band, bass player Rhonda Smith was far too heavily doted upon. To be frank, she wasn't very good. Why Beck got rid of the illuminating Tal Wilkenfeld is beyond me. Smith also provides vocals, which are - dare I say, irritating. Thankfully, between Smith's first solo and her vocal take on "Rollin' and Tumblin", Beck treated us to "People Get Ready". Rod Stewart, I can't say you're missed! Beck held it gloriously. His skill on the guitar is utterly transcendent, one instantly forgets vocals are standard practice in rock and roll. An especially out-there moment came in Beck's take on "Over the Rainbow". The track is included on his new album Emotion and Commotion, but actually seeing Jeff Beck perform a song so out of his realm is bizarre and incredible. Particularly notable is his utterly magnificent song "Angels (Footsteps)". Featured in the Ronnie Scott's DVD, I was left speechless when hearing the song on television! In person, it was nothing less than awe-inspiring. A genuinely beautiful and moving song, played with perfect precision by Beck. Though he totally dropped his slide piece, which provided a laugh for the very attentive audience. He plays with such grace, and those near-shrieking notes sounded wondrously delectable.

    As the show's end drew near, the band busted into "I Want to Take You Higher", leading me to whisper to my dad, "Oh shit." Explosive and such fun! I nearly wished his band would stop providing vocals - but the entire number was so exciting, and I was having such a great time, I stopped caring. He followed this with "A Day in the Life", and I was over the moon. His interpretation of the Beatles classic was rattling and powerful. Thus, I was mildly disturbed when my father said, "Let's get out of here and beat the traffic?" "But dad, what if he encores?" "We already saw the whole show." I should mention my father also squeezed in a nap during Beck's set. Don't get me wrong, I'm nearly positive my adoring opinion of Jeff Beck is genetic, but um, old dudes can't hang, apparently. My father was certainly not the only 45+ sleeping in his seat. This portion of the audience was greatly contrasted by the total guitar geeks, whom ferociously air guitared to every lick. It was certainly a crowd who took music very seriously. Behind me, I heard a conversation, which discussed the merits of Jimmy Page. "He's sloppy. Compare him to Jeff Beck, Clapton, or even Zappa - he lacks that precision. Its just sloppy!" I didn't jump over my seat, I swear...

    Alas, I happily skipped through the halls of the Nokia Theatre, humming along animatedly as Beck encored with "How High the Moon". I saw Paul McCartney's guitar player, and just kept on vocalizing Beck's licks, while perhaps dancing? What? I was jazzed.



    P.S. Dweezil Zappa, you're the man! I was seriously pleased with Zappa Plays Zappa, the opening act. Never fancied myself a Zappa girl, but I may have to indulge! Dweezil is skilled.Source URL: https://jimhensons.blogspot.com/2010/04/review-jeff-beck-at-nokia-theatre-417.html
    Visit Jim Henson for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

My Blog List

Blog Archive