Friday, April 2, 2010

Led Zeppelin-a-Day: "Ramble On"

    Tour program for one of their early tours... Don't care to find out which, judging by the photo I'd say '69, not later than '70. Anyhow, this photo is on my wall, "trippy" coloring and all!

    "Ramble On", Led Zeppelin II
    Such an incredible tune. Like so many others, "Ramble On" belongs to that rather large pocket of Led Zeppelin songs -- the ones that completely give it away, they're my favorites. The emotions leap at me, and I'm transported to that moment of discovery. "Ramble On" was a distinct moment of "getting it". Its a fairly obvious number, isn't it? That leads me to believe it was early in my education. It prefaced my Led Zeppelin II phase, I recall that. It was before I "llamaed" (a trademark dance move, for cramped cars only) to "Moby Dick". It isn't in the typical vein of II and maybe that's why I love it so. It isn't full of chunky riffs and blinding sensuality. Its light, delicate. If "Bring It on Home" is the cherry of Led Zeppelin II, then "Ramble On" is the whipped cream. A rare sensation, smooth and delectable. "Ramble On" commences with captivating, intimate rumblings -- yet just as it dips, it soars. Bold and broad streaks of intricately layered guitar. Perfect tone, bursting with optimism, joy, pleasure. Can't you hear it? Led Zeppelin were having an amazing day. The pitter patter of John Bonham's drum, that stunned me so, I thought the track was skipping. The jovial yet subdued bouncing of JPJ's bass, such a glorious asset of this track, which flirts so divinely with the light strumming of the guitar. And most of the all, the striking dance with which Jimmy toys. The goddamn epitome of "light and shade". It goes from gentle and subdued, then it all hits a high. A superlative moment. A gem among gems. As the song hits its stride on the chorus, you believe the apex has come. But masterfully, they bring it back down, until the addition of the radiant guitar harmonizing. And it just. keeps. building. The gentle bits become more elaborate, more alluring. Even when its tame, its still steaming. Robert Plant (poorly neglected, oh!) hums and wails -- hitting a stride towards the end, as they employ dizzying stereo production. As the song slowly closes, his vocals mystically hop from side to side. I trail him before he disappears, concluding a purifying moment.

    So I've got a lot of Led Zeppelin-a-Day entries waiting, but I'll continue posting them daily from now on, instead of flooding pages with them. Almost through with this project! xo.Source URL: https://jimhensons.blogspot.com/2010/04/led-zeppelin-day-on.html
    Visit Jim Henson for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

My Blog List

Blog Archive