Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Albums of All Time: A Presumably Neverending String of Reviews (15-24)


    15.) Are You Experienced, the Jimi Hendrix Experience
    More bullets! What can I say... This album does not astonish me. Jimi Hendrix's talent does not leave me gaping in awe. I think he had magnificent swagger, and a fanciful look. He seemed like a cool cat, and dear ghost of Jimi Hendrix, I'm down to hang! But as this is about music, no, I don't think he was the greatest guitar player of all time. I agree that this was probably a profoundly eye-opening album at the time of its release. And there is no doubt that he was a good guitar player. He rattled the world with his new style and its outlandish delivery. But this album doesn't really do it for me. I like most of these songs, they're good songs. But they're overplayed, overrated, and just a bit tiresome. Its a bit too, "Ooh, flashy! Look at me! Look what I can do! So I'm gonna do it AGAIN AND AGAIN..." Its noodling. My question is, "Okay. Have anything else? Depth? Emotion?" Its the combination of the two that really kills. I'm not saying that Hendrix didn't EVER venture into depth and emotion, but Are You Experienced sincerely lacks it.
    Favorite song: "May This Be Love", the duds for me have become all of the overplayed "classics".


    16.) Blood on the Tracks, Bob Dylan
    This is my favorite Bob Dylan. Why? Ding ding ding! Depth! Emotion! Bob Dylan has been exposed to have a heart! I read a quote once where he said he found it strange that people regarded this as his best, since its so riddled with pain. How can people find that enjoyable? Its precisely that pain that makes it my favorite. Its raw, and exposed. His guard is let down, and he is pouring out his own personal emotions. Not his politics, or social commentary, but the shape of his heart. His memories, his longing, his subdued yet utterly emotional delivery. Sometimes Bob Dylan's lyrics are senseless, they mean nothing. They're words cleverly stringed together to sound good. Blood on the Tracks is the exact opposite. I don't sense an ounce of contrived cleverness. Its pure emotion, splattered about. The authenticity of Blood on the Tracks is what makes it my favorite, and in my opinion, his best.
    Favorite song: "Simple Twist of Fate", bar none. Duds would be "Tangled Up in Blue" and "Lily, Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts"


    17.) Nevermind, Nirvana
    Of all the albums I've been faced with thus far, Nevermind was one of few I knew basically nothing about. I literally did not have a single cut off this record. Nope, not even "Smells Like Teen Spirit". But, why would I? Its the furthest thing from my taste. I basically have no taste for "grunge". So boring, broody, "I hate my life". Shut up. I dislike how Kurt Cobain is looked upon as some sort of god. Nevermind is viewed as a musical landmark, but I can't really say, as I know nothing about that era of music. What I can is what I hear... I read something about Kurt Cobain attempting to craft the perfect pop songs, and distance himself from the "grunge" sound. I would say he succeeded. Each of these songs possesses an infectious musical formula. Just enough repetition to get it stuck in your head, and interesting riffs and choruses to get you moving. Though, unfortunately, this formula occasionally backfires, as all of the songs begin to sound eerily alike. As I've stated again and again, to make a fantastic album, each song must be a thrill, and different from the others. While each song on Nevermind is nothing less than catchy, the mood is a bit depressing though occasionally hypnotic, and its all dreadfully similar. While, no, this album still isn't the seventeenth best record I've ever heard, after listening, I am vaguely aware of the reasoning behind its reputation. It just doesn't do it for me completely. Oh and, Kurt Cobain still isn't a guitar god. Dave Grohl is more laudable on drums. Still, Krist Novoselic is my favorite, because he can't catch a bass. Anyone who accidentally bashes himself with his instrument is a hero in my book.
    Favorite song: I love the chorus of "Something in the Way", but the verses are far too monotone. "Lounge Act", "On a Plain", and "Breed". I can actually cop to listen to these numbers quite frequently since. And by way of the super fucking obvious numbers, "Lithium", but mostly just when he yells "YEEAAAAAAHHHH!" As we all know. Can "Smells Like Teen Spirit" be my dud? I'm so sick of that song.


    18.) Born to Run, Bruce Springsteen
    Maybe one of the hardest albums to critique, as I've made such a mission of disliking "The Boss" in the past. So I fidgeted through each listen, and thought, "I need to abandon that... If only for this moment!" I entertained the idea of Born to Run being absolutely brilliant to me. I thought, "I didn't like the Clash! Maybe Bruce Springsteen is like that?" Finally, by my last listen, I realized Bruce Springsteen just isn't my style. It has nothing to do with any preconceived notions I had, because I really opened myself up to this album. Some stuff just doesn't hit the spot. Bruce Springsteen doesn't do it for me. I think that the opening interplay between harmonica and piano on "Thunder Road" is an incredible way to start an album, and I think "Jungleland" is a great closing number. But I don't particularly like the music, maybe just the sequencing. I'm slowly adjusting to the fact that I won't like a great deal of what this project will bring to me. But I will say that Born to Run would make a good film soundtrack. Its very cinematic, with loads of gusto -- which would work well for those overly emotional movie moments. And while I'm at it, I must say Springsteen brings a lot of that emotion, which is laudable. You can tell he likes what he does.
    Favorite song: "Tenth Avenue Freeze Out", would be my favorite of the lot. Though don't expect me to listen to it after I finish typing this review... Its difficult to pick a dud because they're all so similar to me. Maybe "Backstreets" or "Born to Run". Its so much easier to pick duds from a predominately exciting album.


    19.) Astral Weeks, Van Morrison
    Astral Weeks kind of bummed me out! People who love this album, love this album. I like Them, I like certain Van Morrison songs, so I expected to really love this record. I held off on downloading it so I could fall in love with it at number nineteen. When I first listened to it, I was talking to someone and said, "Hold on. I'm trying to have my mind blown." (No Van Morrison pun intended, I swear.) But it just didn't. Did I build it up too much? No! Everyone else did! I just expected it to live up to it. The way he repeats things over and over, each time a bit more intense, irritates me. Its so strange that what is so genius to one person is simply not to another. I wouldn't define these songs are bad, they simply don't excite me. Again, not every single album is going to stun me just because its critically acclaimed. And actually, I kind of dig it. I'm further defining my taste, even if it defies Rolling Stone.
    Favorite song: They're all quite similar, blending together as a vast piece of music. But I like "Sweet Thing" and "The Way Young Lovers Do" best. Duds... So difficult to choose! Again, they sound so much alike! Damn you Nirvana, Bruce Springsteen, and Van Morrison for bringing no such diversity and zest to your albums! For Astral Weeks, if one is a dud, they all are. Maybe so.


    20.) Thriller, Michael Jackson
    This is, in a sentence, really fun to listen to. I don't mind this album at all! Listening to it once a day for five days was incredibly fun. For what it is, it doesn't disappoint. I don't really regard this as musical genius, but it does qualify as a good time record. I also don't regard Michael Jackson as a musical genius. I think he was innovative, a wondrous performer, dancer, singer... But a musical genius? No no, no. If this is your thing, then there isn't a single "bad" song. They're all catchy and danceable. Sticking to my "great album rule", each song is exciting, and each song differs from the other. And this is such a hits-laden album. That was actually one thing that got me down, because I really don't want to listen to "Thriller" and "Beat It" so many times. But dealing with his genre of mid-80's, synthed-up R&B, Michael Jackson (with the help of others, namely Quincy Jones) made a record that is still relevant today. And I think that's the best thing there is to be said.
    Favorite song: "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'" I've always, always loved this song. My mornings lately have consisted of Roy Harper, Fresh by Sly Stone, and "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'". Suffice to say, I've had some great mornings. Other favorites include "Baby Be Mine", "The Girl is Mine" (P A U L), and "Human Nature". "The Lady in My Life" is the dud.


    21.) The Great Twenty-Eight, Chuck Berry
    Great, indeed! Chuck, Chuck, Chuck. We share a surname, but unfortunately, despite my wishes, he isn't my great-grandfather. Nope, I'm not 12.5% black, which isn't surprising. But despite the heritage that we don't share, he DID make some damn good music. I looooove Chuck Berry, its actually a bit hard to articulate. Because there is so little going on! It is so simple, but perfect and pure. Chuck Berry is so vital to rock and roll, and music in general. How can I sum up all that he has done, and what it all means, in just a paragraph? Thankfully, I don't have to, because that is what The Great Twenty-Eight does. Spanning his most dazzling period, 1955-1965, The Great Twenty-Eight perfectly captures his entirely unique essence. Though damn near everyone has been influenced by Chuck Berry, nobody can rival him. Its all here... Pure, unabashed rock and roll. That churning guitar that opens "Maybellene" and equates to the beginning of my rock and roll education. His breathy sighs in "Too Much Monkey Business". The way he says "Ooh" in "Brown-Eyed Handsome Man".  The simple, melodic, gripping energy of "Havana Moon". "School Days" which reminds me of standing on a street corner after French class one summer, and remains a favorite. The thumping of "Rock and Roll Music" which defines everything. The ever-present subject matter of sweet little sixteens, and sweet little rock and rollers, and baby dolls, who are sweet as apple pie. The far too iconic sounds of "Johnny B. Goode" and "Roll Over Beethoven". The reelin' and rockin' power of "Around and Around" that makes Mick Jagger look like a chump. "Carol" which makes me just want to dance. "Memphis" !!! Can I even describe how much this song means to me? I love the swirling guitars, the mood is so much different than anything else he did. I also love his understated use of words, "hurry home drops on her cheek that trickled from her eye." The totally affective back-up vocals that are all over this record, particularly on songs like "Almost Grown". And, !!! "Back in the USA" The best back-up vocals that adorned any record, ever... The scenery which he so effortlessly paints. "Come On", which is indescribably cool. They are all! These are just mes absolus. Chuck... What would rock and roll be without him?
    Favorite song: Well, I certainly covered that. Duds... No! This is the great twenty-eight. Really, duds don't particularly apply to compilations.




    22.) Plastic Ono Band, John Lennon
    My love for this record... Immense. So much that I've already expressed said love on this blog. I rather like what I wrote so you get it here:
    "I attempted to pick just one song off this record, but it proved to be too difficult! I love the rambunctious guitar driven tracks (with strong Ringo beats!) like "Well Well Well" and "I Found Out", but also enjoy the slow grooving of "Hold On", and the delightful melancholy that envelopes tracks like "Love" and "Isolation". "Mother" is brutal and honest; John's voice is terrific and cracking, but it's so real and intense. The entire album captures the real sense of imperfect rock and roll that I adore, but it's coupled with Phil Spector's pristine production in a magnificent way. Somehow the dynamic pair of two geniuses retained the intimate honesty of John's vocal delivery, but also churned out near perfect production that sounded anything but overproduced. Plastic Ono Band kicks the ass of even the best solo McCartney record (or Wings). I like those too, don't get me wrong, but while Paul was writing silly love songs, John was hitting a nerve that maybe Paul was too afraid to touch. Plus, has Paul ever used the word "fuck" in a song?! I don't know, maybe he has, but I don't think so. You tell me. I still have yet to decide how Plastic Ono Band matches up to All Things Must Pass, one of the best solo Beatles records to ever be released. All Things Must Pass boasts some of the best GH songs of his catalog, but it's also got a handful of filler tracks. But still, can you blast any song on Plastic Ono Band like you can "Awaiting on You All" while driving to Coachella and dancing like a fool for the surrounding cars? I. just. don't. think. so. Perhaps a back-to-back listening duel is in store."
    Favorite song: This album is one that can break your heart and make you smile. All of these songs are good, there is NO dud. ("My Mummy's Dead" is :49, it doesn't really count...) I really forgot how much this album effects me after every listen. Its a truly stunning piece of work.


    23.) Innervisions, Stevie Wonder
    A few years back, this was one of my all time favorite records. For that reason, I have a real soft spot for Innervisions. It still stands up, undoubtedly, I suppose I've just been touched by a lot of music since then. Each of these songs is exciting, all in a different way. Moods range from swinging numbers to make you move, to melancholy tracks. Coupled with varied themes like drugs, love, and social injustice. Of everything Stevie Wonder did during his "classic period", Innervisions is the most bewitching and impassioned.
    Favorite song: "Living for the City" and "Golden Lady", as well as the always obvious but always magnificent "Higher Ground". OH! I forgot "Don't You Worry 'Bout a Thing" !!! Least favorites (not duds) are "All in Love is Fair" and "He's Misstra Know It All".


    24.) Live at the Apollo (1963), James Brown
    This album took a while to seep in, and I can say that I still don't quite feel I know it. But more so than any album this list has thrown at me thus far, I heard something new every single time. A song would swing me in a different direction, a favorite revealed even though I had already heard it. Could this abide by my theory that true genius doesn't jump at you immediately? As far as live albums go, sometimes they suffer "You-had-to-be-there" syndrome. Other times, it successfully captures an exciting night for music. Live at the Apollo is the latter. From Fats Gonder's introduction, everything is lively and vivacious. The Famous Flames are in top shape, the audience is raging! (This makes it especially fun to listen to. They uniquely sound like their having an incredible time.) And James Brown, "The Hardest Working Man in Show Business", he sounds it! Wailing and crooning the way only he could, he theatrically leads the show and entices the audience. This joyous energy remains strong to this day. His fiery performance is anything but dated. "You got to live for yourself and nobody else." The way things stop, explode, BOOM! Audience roars, girly chatter, singular squeals. Its magnetic. It draws me to 1962 Harlem. And for the record, I now don't want to say "just 'ow.' Say 'OW!'" And that segue into the "Please Please Please Medley", so exciting! My own complaint is the lacklustre ending. It just kind of stops after "Night Train". For most albums, that's okay. But after JB endlessly excited me, a basically abrupt ending? No go.
    Favorite song: "Think" and "I Don't Mind", but his zesty and soulful performances never waver. The medley led by "Please Please Please" is incredible.Source URL: https://jimhensons.blogspot.com/2010/02/rolling-stone-500-greatest-albums-of_10.html
    Visit Jim Henson for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

My Blog List

Blog Archive