Sunday, February 21, 2010

This week:


    Listening: Still lots of Little Feat -- so, so good. And isn't it black history month? If so -- WOW. Because I have had total black appreciation week! Its been a week full of Smokey, the Temptations, Mr. Brown, and most of all, Sly. This week has been all about Stand! And now I battling with myself over whether the price of a three day Coachella pass is worthy. So difficult. And he's such a recluse! What if I never get the chance again?

    Reading: Shit. I said I'd be done with Lolita by now. I don't think I've touched it since I said that... I kind of want to wait until I'm finished to start slamming classics, but the story kind of goes nowhere? I enjoy his writing style but you need both. An intriguing story is vital. Right now, its just "La di da, I love Lolita. We have sex. Sometimes she's a brat. I threaten her. I do this mostly so that she'll have sex with me. We're traveling around America. But this is only vaguely important." And yet, the sex is all vague and implied! I'm ready to get into the nitty gritty death part of the story, but the book simply isn't captivating me overall.


    Watching: Holiday... Katharine Hepburn, George Cukor, Cary Grant. Need I say more? So inspiring, so vivacious, so poignant, so timeless. A stunning cinematic experience;

     
    Harold and Maude, which I had never seen! Perfection. I've always loved Ruth Gordon for her skills as a writer and an actress, especially as she penned KH/ST films with her husband Garson Kanin. Anyway, this film was totally dazzling. She's the best. I want to be just like Maude. And I realized that one day I WILL be that old, and will have the opportunity!;

    Wait Until Dark, in which Audrey Hepburn makes an adorable blind lady, and shows her versatility as an actress. Not a bad film, not my new favorite;


    Bonnie and Clyde, a good film, visually pleasing, love Fay Dunaway's costumes, not much else to say on it;

    Death on the Nile. Lois Chiles portrays a total bitch, deserved to be shot in the head! But what a striking ensemble. I have a huge crush on David Niven, as of now -- even late seventies Niv! Angela Lansbury is wild and wonderful. Maggie Smith, AKA Professor McGonagall, is also in it. Score. Bette Davis, still a show-stopper. I love her voice, especially. Jane Birkin wasn't in it enough. Mia Farrow was almost not at all irritating, except when she does that thing, when she starts gasping and her eyes boggle. Stop it;


    La Dolce Vita, which is SO long. Elegantly shot with an intriguing story line. When done correctly, I love tales of simply wandering about more than many plot-driven stories. I like La Dolca Vita, but you just can't watch it too often. I like its fusion of nearly morbid fears with visually appealing decadence.Source URL: https://jimhensons.blogspot.com/2010/02/this-week.html
    Visit Jim Henson for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

My Blog List

Blog Archive